Eye Care Services
The Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital Eye Clinic is open to everyone in all of the Arctic Slope communities. It is staffed by one optometrist, two opticians, and one administrative/optometric assistant. Our goal is to provide high quality services and products at an affordable price.
- Comprehensive eye exams, which include screening for eye diseases such as cataracts, glaucoma, and diabetes-related eye problems
- Refraction for glasses
- Contact lens fitting and management
- Eye disease evaluations and treatment or referrals
- Consultation, pre and post-surgical care for cataract and refractive surgery (LASIK)
- Glasses ordering, repairs and adjustments (outside prescriptions welcome)
- Contact lens ordering (outside prescriptions welcome)
Exams are done by appointment, although we will try to accommodate urgent needs on a same-day basis.
There is a modern dispensary with several hundred designer glasses frames, including sunglasses (prescription and non-prescription), readers, work safety glasses, sports glasses and accessories. Some of the brands in stock include Oakley, Vera Wang, Kate Spade, Adidas and Ray Ban.
Specialty Eye Clinics
A specialty clinic is held twice a year with specialists from the Alaska Native Medical Center to monitor chronic eye disease patients.
The Eye Clinic is operated on a fee-for-service basis.
Medicaid, Medicare, and most private insurance are accepted and courtesy billing is provided. Payment for non-covered items is expected at the time of service.
SSMH Main Line: 907 852 4611
Direct Line: 907 852 9291
Fax Number: 907 852 6215
8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., Monday - Friday for appointment scheduling, glasses pick-up, purchases of sun wear and accessories
Eye exams and glasses/contact lens ordering and repairs are available two (2) weeks each month.
The Eye Clinic is closed on ASNA recognized holidays.