COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) is a disease caused by a virus named SARS-CoV-2 and was discovered in December 2019 in Wuhan, China. It is very contagious and has quickly spread around the world.
COVID-19 most often causes respiratory symptoms that can feel much like a cold, a flu, or pneumonia. COVID-19 may attack more than your lungs and respiratory system. Other parts of your body may also be affected by the disease.
- Most people with COVID-19 have mild symptoms, but some people become severely ill.
- Some people including those with minor or no symptoms may suffer from post-COVID conditions — or “long COVID”.
- Older adults and people who have certain underlying medical conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
- Hundreds of thousands of people have died from COVID-19 in the United States.
- Vaccines against COVID-19 are safe and effective. Vaccines teach our immune system to fight the virus that causes COVID-19.|
SSMH is committed to providing COVID-19 testing. Hours of operation on Fridays are 4pm – 6pm, and Saturdays to Thursdays from 1pm – 6pm at the old NSB Transit Station facility at 1710 Ahkovak Street, located near the airport. Tests acquired at SSMH or the testing center are available with no out-of-pocket costs.
COVID-19 vaccine walk-ins or appointments are available, please call SSMH Appointment Line at (907) 852-9380. SSMH staff are also offering the vaccine in the village clinics.
CLICK HERE to book an appointment for Rapid or PCR testing.
CLICK HERE for the Authorization for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Vaccination for MINORS (5-11 years)